In order to reduce constant exposure to common pollutants, neurotoxins, endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, lung irritants, skin irritants etc. I recommend that clients replace as many of their household cleaners with effective but toxin-free alternatives as they can.
An online search will find you a host of recipes and organic alternatives but these are the replacements I use on a daily basis:
- Toilet, bath, bathroom sink and tile cleaner: scrub each with half a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate and a cloth. Rinse with water.
- Shower screen and floor: white vinegar and water (1:1) sprayed on, left for a few minutes and wiped with a cloth.
- Kitchen sink: scrubbed with half a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate and a cloth. Rinse with water.
- Stove top: white vinegar and water (1:1) sprayed on, left for a few minutes and wiped with a cloth
- Washing up: eco-friendly washing up liquid
- Wipe stained teacups with a small amount of sodium bicarbonate, leave for five minutes and wash as usual
- Wooden worktops: wiped occasionally with beeswax and olive oil melted together
- A cup of sodium bicarbonate left in the fridge and kitchen cupboards absorbs undesirable smells
- Replace antibacterial sprays with white vinegar and water (1:1)
- Detergent: I use half the quantity suggested of eco-friendly laundry powders and add a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate
- Fabric conditioner: half a cup of white vinegar
- Ironing water: distilled water
- Spray with white vinegar and water (1:1) and wipe off with an old t-shirt
Carpets and floors
- Sprinkle carpets lightly with sodium bicarbonate before vacuuming.
- Mop floors with hot water and a little added white vinegar
Air fresheners and room scenting
- Windows open!
- Beeswax pillar candles or salt lamp candle holders with organic soy tea-lights
- Essential oils dropped onto a cloth or saucer of water and left on warm radiators
- Real incense
- Musty fabrics or clothes in need of “airing out” can be sprayed with water and cheap vodka (2:1) and left to dry
- Charcoal blocks can be left in shoes overnight to freshen